Saturday, May 17, 2014

LAYERING IMAGE CUT-OUTS


-->  On March 30, I explained I was experimenting with  layering methods, using different layer combinations and different modes on the top layers. The textures originally created in low resolution paint programs were then copied into Photoshop as a means for designing, discovering color combinations and for stimulating freedom and play into my process.


I had at that time,  discovered a new technique to use with this methodology, which I hoped to share in the future. It took longer than I anticipated to return with experiments  creating compositions in this new method, because I needed to work on a theme project with realistic images just then, even though the technique worked equally well with both abstraction and realism.



Coins of the Realm 1. Computer Layered Composition  7.5x10" ©by Ruth Zachary

The layers I chose to combine included two textured abstract layers, a third layer with a Kid Pix geometric design, and then a fourth layer containing a scanned image of various coins. I used the select the white background option in Photoshop on the coin layer, to select and cut out the background around the coins just in that layer. In the above version, it is easy to see how the coins were affected by changing the modes of different layers. Some details in the coins are still visible. Working in a small size allows working faster with many layers, because it is less memory intensive.

Coins of the Realm 2. Computer Layered Composition. 7. 5x10" © by Ruth Zachary

The different colors and values were the result of changes in the modes. Even though the coins have a different appearance, the coins remained in the same relationships to each other and to the dominant design of the Kid Pix geometric composition. To save each version, I used "Save As " to preserve the images I liked. Layers were flattened in each saved version.  Paint textures on some layers can be seen on the surface, as well, although the Kid Pix design was mostly in flat colors to start with.


Coins of the Realm 3. Computer Layered Composition. 7. 5x10" © by Ruth Zachary



Changing the mode of the layers then results in other combinations. In this version, the circular motif seems to shift, although the coins did not change position. Also in this version, the coins have no details. This composition is quite different from the original Kid Pix creation, but has more of the flattened color areas like the original. I think this is the one I like best.

What is new about this method, at least to me, is that the coins were cut out and they have a completely different impact, than working with several full sized, fully filled layers. I have carried this on to yet another step, using photographic cut out images. Cut out drawings, paintings, or separated distorted images offer unlimited potential for integrating realistic or semi-realistic images with abstraction.Since this is something I have been working toward, for a long time, I find this to be very exciting! The next step of this process will appear on my Montage Blog soon.


All Images and Writing are the Copyright © of Ruth Zachary.



No comments:

Post a Comment